Thursday, December 11, 2008

Holiday Baking- Gluten Free style

I made a really good pumpkin bread today. It was so great, I will be making more for sure. I didn't get a good picture of it, we ate it too fast. :) A friend of mine emailed me to ask about ideas for gluten free holiday baking, so I thought I would share it here too. I have been meaning to post more recipes, but can't seem to find the time in between all my crafting!

We keep a canister of a gluten free flour mixture (I'll explain below) in the kitchen and just substitute it into our favorite recipes. With very rich flavorful things like brownies and pumpkin bread you really can't tell the difference. We have a hard time getting the texture right with cookies, but we just got a good little cook book at the kids Celiac support group we've been going to and I think the recipes will work better. Here is a loaf of bread from the book. We made it for stuffing on thanksgiving and it was great. I made another loaf today to use for sandwiches.


The gf flour mixture I use is 6 cups white rice flour, 3 cups potato STARCH (NOT flour) and 1 cup of tapioca flour. I just found out that the cheapest place to get these flours is at the Asian market. I should have thought of it, I have been paying way too much at the health food store. It's about $6 for enough flour to fill a big canister with the mix. Also keep cornstarch on hand, that's called for in alot of recipes. If you don't have any also pick up some xanthum gum. It's very helpful to add a teaspoon or so to bread recipes to bind it together better. You can buy a small bag in the bulk section at Harvest Health, rather than the big bag which is like $12 or more! Sometimes adding an extra egg or oil is helpful too.

I am still trying to figure out gluten free apple pie. I have made two attempts already this season and they have not worked out so well. The crust is too crunchy and the inside kind of gritty. I'll let you know when I discover the trick! I am trying to be gluten free now too for Daisy's sake, since she is still nursing, so now the whole house is officially gluten free.


If you eat gluten free too, I'd love to hear from you. Let me know if you try any of them how they turn out.

3 comments:

Mama K said...

Since I am still experimenting to figure out whether gluten free would be better for me, I didn't really want to spend a lot of money today on the ingredients, so I just bought a box of the gluten free flour already made up - about a pound - which is made of the same ingredients as what you make. It's a smaller amount than I would have had if I'd gotten the ingredients and made it. I hope to make something special for the holidays - one of your recipes, most likely - ans see how it goes. I'll let you know. Thanks for the help.

Ma Hammar said...

The bread looks great!
I would have stopped by if I knew you made that today!
Love,
Mom

Mama K said...

Do you think you could post that pumpkin bread recipe?