Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Treasures in Heaven

We had two bikes stollen out of our backyard this summer. It made me very angry and sad. The other day I noticed the top had fallen off my plastic bin of sweaters under my bed. Moths and bugs got into them and ate holes in almost all of them. I was sick to my stomach about it, and spent alot of time thinking about it. I seemed to remember there was a scripture somewhere about something like that...

19
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22"The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. 23But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

24"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.

Matthew 6:19-24

My God is really working to reveal something to me and I am trying so hard to get my finite little mind around it. It feels like if I can begin to understand what he is saying, it will forever change everything in my life and family. We are praying that God will help us to grasp what these words really mean in our life and everywhere we turn we are confronted in some way by this truth. I am learning to let go of the control I have always tried to have over my life and truly surrender to God's will. I am trying to focus only on Him, and not letting my eyes wander. I am learning to live in God's kingdom now.


1 comment:

Amy said...

hmmmm....it's like a punch in the gut. "When the young woman heard this, she went away sad, because she had great wealth"

It is harder for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of heaven...is that because the Kingdom is now?