Friday, June 6, 2008

Volunteer Photography

Most of you know that I am a professional photographer. I have been photographing weddings, portraits, and some commercial and documentary work for the last 7 years. With the arrival of Daisy however, I have not been very successful at balancing work and my most important job: my family. So I have decided to take some time off from marketing and I have embarked on my most challenging and exciting documentary project yet, my own life! I will continue though to volunteer for Now I lay Me Down To Sleep with a local extension of the organization called the Whispers program. Some of you may not have known about this work that I do, so I thought I would share it with you. We work at Spectrum Health and are on call to photograph for families who loose their sweet babies. I have been doing this for about a year and a half now and when I tell people about the work that I do people usually ask me how I do it. It is hard, and it is very sad, but I feel very privileged to help families remember their babies. I know that it is a very important part of their healing and I feel so honored that they would invite me to photograph such a private moment in their lives.

Please view the Whispers Photography website or the Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep website to learn more about the organizations:



No comments: